Looking to the Future
In the Sixth Form you will be making decisions that will influence your future career. Whichever options you choose after Sixth Form, you will get advice and guidance to help you plan ahead. Our aim is to help you make realistic and informed decisions about your future. You will be encouraged to take responsibility for your own decisions.
We offer a comprehensive programme of information, advice and guidance concerning employment, work experience and support for university entry. Our service includes:
- Dedicated teams of staff to support progression into careers and university
- Access to web-based careers software
- Access to advice and guidance from professional careers advisers throughout the week
- Advice that is confidential, impartial and which promotes equal opportunities
- A Pastoral Officer for additional support.
Sixth Form Form Tutors actively encourage their students to book careers appointments. Specific issues that impact on Sixth Formers include UCAS personal statements, CVs, extended work experience, support with interview techniques, advanced apprenticeships and higher education options. Personalised support is key to our school Careers Department.
We have a week of advice and guidance at the end of Year 12 where we help students draw up an individual plan for post-18. We visit local universities where students receive guidance on applying to university and attend a UCAS Exhibition. There is support for applying to apprenticeships or employment and all our students experience team challenges and how to survive independently.
We have a very active programme of Careers Education and guidance, which looks at all the options. Careers advice is delivered by a mixture of specialist staff and visiting speakers.
Our programme includes:
- Working links with numerous universities including Leeds, Newscastle, Northumbria and York
- Visiting speakers from local universities and gap year organisations
- Employment workshops
- Mock interviews
- Attending the UCAS Higher Education Exhibition
- Careers interviews
- Regular bulletins
- Events and support for applications to medicine, veterinary science and Oxbridge
- Support and advice from link colleges St Catherine´s, Cambridge, and Brasenose, Oxford.